There are many wetlands around the world in which there exists an ecosystem which needs to be conserved by the world to protect the habitat residing over there. Any wetland site which has been listed under the Ramsar Convention that aims to conserve it and promote sustainable use of its natural resources is called a Ramsar Site. Ramsar Convention is known as the Convention of Wetlands.
To protect this a convention was held in Ramsar city in Iran in 1971. This day marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea.
lt was established in 1971 by UNESCO and came into force in 1975. India is a party to the Ramsar Convention. India signed under it on 1st February 1982.The first wetlands day was celebrated in 1997. And from there on 2nd February Wetland day is observed every year.
Most Ramsar Sites in the world are in the United Kingdom (175) and Mexico (142), as per the Ramsar List. Bolivia has the largest area with 148,000 sq km under the Convention protection. In India till date there are 75 sites recognised by the Convention of Ramsar.
- World Wetlands Day is celebrated every year on 2 February.
- The Theme of World Wetlands Day 2021 is “Wetland and Water”.
- The theme of World Wetlands Day of 2022 is ‘Wetlands Action for People and Nature’.
Some fact about the Ramsar site in India
- Uttar Pradesh has the most number of the Ramsar sites in India.
- In 1981, Chilika Lake and Keoladeo National Park (Rajasthan) designated the first Indian wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention.
- Renuka Wetland in Himachal Pradesh is the smallest wetland in India.
- Sundarbans wetland in west bengal is the largest wetland of India.
- There are 75 Ramsar Sites in India till date.
- India have the highest number of wetlands in South Asia
Recent Ramsar sites in India
11 new Ramsar sites added on August 2022
11 new Ramsar sites were added by the Environment Ministry of India to complete the total 75 Ramsar sites in India. So that the 75th Anniversary of Indian Independence or Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav can be celebrated along with this.
In 2022 itself till now 28 Ramsar sites were added in the Ramsar list of India. In this new list Four sites in Tamil Nadu, Three in Odisha, Two in Jammu & Kashmir and One each in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra were added. These sites would help in conservation and management of wetlands and wise use of their resources.
Now Tamil Nadu has the maximum number of Ramsar sites that is 14, Uttar Pradesh is second with 10 Ramsar sites.
India adds 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar Sites
- Tampara Lake, Odisha.
- Hirakud Reservoir, Odisha.
- Ansupa Lake, Odisha.
- Yashwant Sagar, Madhya Pradesh
- Chitrangudi Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Suchindram Theroor Wetland Complex, Tamil Nadu
- Vaduvur Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Kanjirankulam Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Thane Creek, Maharashtra
- Hygam Wetland Conservation Reserve, Jammu and Kashmir
- Shallbugh Wetland Conservation Reserve, Jammu and Kashmir
Ten new Ramsar sites added on July 2022
Within the span of a Month 10 more Ramsar sites are added in the lists of ramsar sites of India. Now the Tamil Nadu will have total of 14 Ramsar sites, so now Tamil Nadu have Maximum Ramsar sites.
Here is the list of 10 new Ramsar sites.
- Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Satkosia Gorge, Odisha
- Nanda Lake, Goa
- Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve, Tamil Nadu
- Ranganathituu BS, Karnataka
- Vembannur Wetland Complex, Tamil Nadu
- Vellode Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Sirpur wetland, Madhya Pradesh
- Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Udhayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
Five new Ramsar sites added from India.
The five new Ramsar sites are added to the list of Ramsar sites in India. So the total number of Ramsar sites from 49 had increased to 75. These sites are approved by UNESCO.
List of new Ramsar sites are below:
- Karikili Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
- Pallikaranai Marsh Reserve Forest, Tamil Nadu
- Pichavaram Mangrove, Tamil Nadu
- Pala wetland, Mizoram
- Sakhya Sagar, Madhya Pradesh.
Four new sites have been added to the list of Ramsar Sites in India in August 2021.
- Sultanpur National Park – Gurugram, Haryana
- Bhindawas Wildlife Sanctuary Jhajjar, Haryana
- Thol Lake Wildlife Sanctuary – Near Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Vadhvana Wetland – Vadodara, Gujarat
Three new sites added in 2022 till date..
- Haiderpur Wetland of Western Uttar Pradesh
- Khijadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Gujarat and Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh
With these two now India has the highest number of wetlands in South Asia.
List of total 75 Ramsar sites of India
|SR. NO||Ramsar Site||State||Added in|
|1.||Asan Conservation Reserve||Uttarakhand||2020|
|3.||Beas Conservation Reserve||Punjab||2019|
|5.||Bhoj Wetlands||Madhya Pradesh||2002|
|6.||Chandertal Wetland||Himachal Pradesh||2005|
|9.||East Kolkata Wetlands||West Bengal||2002|
|11.||Hokera Wetland||Jammu and Kashmir||2005|
|14.||Keoladeo Ghana NP||Rajasthan||1981|
|15.||Keshopur-Miani Community Reserve||Punjab||2019|
|16.||Kolleru Lake||Andhra Pradesh||2002|
|19.||Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary||Gujarat||2012|
|21.||Nangal Wildlife Sanctuary||Punjab||2019|
|22.||Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|23.||Parvati Agra Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|24.||Point Calimere Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2002|
|25.||Pong Dam Lake||Himachal Pradesh||2002|
|26.||Renuka Wetland||Himachal Pradesh||2005|
|29.||Saman Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|30.||Samaspur Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|32.||Sandi Bird Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|33.||Sarsai Nawar Jheel||Uttar Pradesh||2019|
|35.||Sundarbans Wetland||West Bengal||2019|
|36.||Surinsar-Mansar Lakes||Jammu and Kashmir||2005|
|37.||Sur Sarovar||Uttar Pradesh||2020|
|38.||Tso Kar Wetland||Ladakh||2020|
|39.||Tsomoriri Lake||Jammu and Kashmir||2002|
|40.||Upper Ganga River||Uttar Pradesh||2005|
|42.||Wular Lake||Jammu & Kashmir||1990|
|43.||Sultanpur National Park||Gurugram, Haryana||2021|
|44.||Bhindawas Wildlife Sanctuary||Jhajjar, Haryana||2021|
|45.||Thol Lake Wildlife Sanctuary||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||2021|
|46.||Vadhvana Wetland||Vadodara, Gujarat||2021|
|47.||Haiderpur Wetland||Uttar Pradesh||2021|
|48.||Khijadia Wildlife Sanctuary||Gujarat||2021|
|49.||Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh||2021|
|50.||Karikili Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|51.||Pallikaranai Marsh Reserve Forest||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|52.||Pichavaram Mangrove||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|54.||Sakhya Sagar||Madhya Pradesh||2022|
|55.||Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|57.||Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|58.||Vembannur Wetland Complex||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|59.||Vellode Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|60||Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|61.||Udhayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|63.||Sirpur wetland||Madhya Pradesh||2022|
|68.||Yashwant Sagar||Madhya Pradesh||2022|
|69.||Chitrangudi Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|70.||Suchindram Theroor Wetland Complex||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|71.||Vaduvur Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|72.||Kanjirankulam Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu||2022|
|74.||Hygam Wetland Conservation Reserve||Jammu and Kashmir||2022|
|75.||Shallbugh Wetland Conservation Reserve||Jammu and Kashmir||2022|
To download the pdf of the Lists of Ramsar sites click the below.
4 thoughts on “List Ramsar sites in India along with Pdf”
Sir pls also mention that which year declare
d it as site pls sir
Thank for you feedback soon post will be updated along with year.
Sir this pdf has 49 ramasr site update this
Pdf is updated, now you can download.