Here is a list of all the current affairs of August 2023. It covers all the important current affairs related to sports, appointments, and national and International news.
Preparing for government exams? We’ve summarized the important events from August 2023 in simple one-liners to help with your last-minute revision.
One liner Current Affairs of August 2023
Read below a compilation of significant national and international events from August 2023 in concise one-liner form, suitable for exam preparation:
- Akhil Bhartiya Shiksha Samagam is being held in New Delhi.
- Jammu and Kashmir launched “Doctor Aapke Gaon Mein”.
- Madhya Pradesh is preparing to inaugurate its first online gaming industry known as the “MP State Esports Academy”.
- “Urea Gold” was launched in Rajasthan by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Ruchira Kamboj chaired the 62nd Session of the Commission for Social Development at the United Nations.
- Bengaluru will host the ‘World Coffee Conference’.
- Draupadi Murmu laid the foundation stone of the ‘Divine Light House’ in Odisha.
- The Justice Rohini committee has submitted its report to the President of India after the 14 extensions. The committee’s task was to study and recommend the sub-categorization within OBC (Other Backward Classes).
- Jaderi ‘Namakatti’, Chedibutta saree and Kanniyakumari Matti banana of Tamil Nadu have recently been granted a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- The country’s first hydrogen fuel industry is going to be set up in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.
- The Haryana government has initiated the ‘Pran Vayu Devta Pension’ scheme.
- Uttar Pradesh has approved the Adventure Sports and Water Tourism Policy 2023.
- Tamil Nadu celebrates the cultural festival ‘Aadi Perukku’.
- India has recently mandated licensing for laptop and tablet imports.
- The first joint training exercise “FALCON SHIELD-2023” was conducted between India and UAE.
- The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has developed an application called the ‘MASI’ App for monitoring the seamless inspection of childcare institutions.
- The Government of India has introduced an Ayush Visa for foreign nationals seeking medical treatment in India.
- Assam witnessed the first-ever captive breeding of Himalayan vultures.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the BRICS Summit 2023 in South Africa.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has launched the mobile app ‘Rajmargyatra’ for national highway users.
- Rajiv Gauba became the longest-serving cabinet secretary in the history of Indian bureaucracy.
- Bihar state government is planning to establish a ‘Rhino Task Force’ as part of its efforts to reintroduce the Rhino Conservation Scheme.
- The ‘Amrit Bharat Station Scheme’ was recently launched by Prime Minister Narender Modi in 13 railway stations.
- Iran became the 18th country recognized by the World Health Organization for eliminating Trachoma.
- Australia to host the latest edition of 10-day Malabar exercise. The exercise is conducted between the QUAD member countries i.e. India, Australia, USA, and Japan.
- The Ministry of Minority Affairs implemented the ‘Naya Savera’ of the ‘Free Coaching and Allied’ scheme.
- India recently launched the first underwater landmine detection vehicle named ‘Neerakshi’.
- India imposed an anti-dumping duty on optical fibre imports from China, South Korea, and Indonesia.
- Nagaland celebrated the ‘Biam Festival’.
- The Rajasthan government recently announced the formation of the ‘State Guru Gorakhnath Board’.
- Gujarat implemented the One District One Product scheme in August 2023.
- UN Women organization has partnered with Kerala Tourism for a women-friendly tourism initiative.
- India has developed the manned scientific submersible “MATSYA6000”.
- Jammu and Kashmir receives the GI tags for its Rajouri Chikri Woodcraft and Mushqbudji Rice.
- The Ministry of Defence had developed the ‘Maya’ operating system. Maya OS is an operating system developed by the Indian Defence Research and Development Organisation in 2021 which was implemented after 15 August 2023 by the Defence Forces of India. It is powered by an endpoint detection and protection system called “Chakravyuh” to act as a barrier against online threats by foreign nations.
- India ranks 6th in the South Asia region for the Internet Resilience Index.
- Srinagar has achieved the highest level of Jal Jeevan Mission implementation among Har Ghar Jal certified districts.
- Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel virtually launched and unveiled the ‘Lion Anthem and Sinh Suchna’ Web App.
- “Indira Gandhi Smartphone Program” launched by CM Ashok Gehlot from Jaipur, Rajasthan. Under this program smart phones will be given to Women with 3-year data.
- The 2nd edition of India Startup Festival 2023 begins in Bengaluru.
- Pilibhit Tiger Reserve of Uttar Pradesh recently partnered with TSA (Turtles Survival Alliance) for the conservation of Turtles and Tortoises.
- Chief Justice of India D.Y. Chandrachud launched the ‘Suswagatam’ portal for e-passes to enter the Supreme Court.
- Amit Shah proposes to replace IPC, CrPC and Evidence Act in Lok Sabha. IPC to Bhartiya Nyaya Sahita – 2023, CrPC to Bhartiya Nagrik Suraksha Sanhita – 2023.
- The new spaceport for Small Satellite Launch Vehicles (SSLV) is going to be established in Kulasekarapattinam, Tamil Nadu.
- AU Bank has become India’s first bank to offer 24×7 video banking service.
- CM Conrad K Sangma launched the Solar Mission in Meghalaya.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a rail and road project worth Rs 4000 crore in Madhya Pradesh.
- Gujarat and Rajasthan have the highest wind power potential in India.
- Kupwara district’s post office in Jammu and Kashmir was awarded the title of the country’s first post office.
- Sudha Murthy and Shankar Mahadevan were included in NCERT’S 19-member panel for developing new textbooks. This committee will be headed by Mahesh Chandra Pant.
- Vienna, Austria’s capital has been named the most liveable city in the world for the 4th time.
- Aditya-L1, India’s first space satellite designed to study the Sun is planned by ISRO to launch in September.
- Madhya Pradesh Cabinet has approved the disbursement of Rs 6000 per year to farmers under a welfare scheme “CM Kisan Kalyan Yojna”.
- INS Kulish participated in the celebration of the 77th Independence Day in Singapore.
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has become the first metro to launch the ‘Carbon Lite Metro Travel’ initiative. This is the awareness campaign to reduce carbon emission.
- India to build world’s highest motorable road at 19400 ft in Umhlanga Pass near LAC. This road will only be used by Indian defence Forces.
- The Annapurna Food Packet Scheme is Rajasthan launched by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot.
- “Sulabh International” founder and social activist Bindeshwar Pathak passed away.
- NBRI (National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow) has developed the all-season blooming lotus variety. Its name is given as Namo 108.
- According to the Fiscal Health Report, Maharashtra has secured the top position. And West Bengal and Punjab at bottom.
- The Nehru Memorial has been renamed as the Prime Minister’s Museum and Library by the Indian government.
- Bhutan has achieved the status of ‘net zero carbon’ emissions country.
- Typhoon Lan hits Japan, causing flooding and power outage in Honshu Island of Japan. The name of the Typhoon given by the Philippines.
- Union Minister Amit Shah unveils book ‘Memories Never Die,’ tribute to former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. This book is Authored by Dr. Nazema Maraikayar and Dr. Y.S. Rajan.
- Book “kargil: Ek Yatri Ki Jubani” released, a True Tribute to Martyrs of Kargil War. This book is authored by Rishi Raj.
- Chetna Maroo’s debut novel ‘Western Lane’ long-listed for 2023 booker Prize.
- Goa State government has launched the “Grameen Mitra” scheme aimed at digital empowerment in rural areas of Goa.
- Gandhinagar Declaration was adopted by members of countries of the WHO South-East Asia region to combat tuberculosis. The target to end Tuberculosis (TB) is by 2030.
- Jharkhand CM Hemant Soren announces new scheme “Abua Awas Yojana”. Under this scheme 3 room house will be built by government for the poor people.
- Russia’s Luma-25 spacecraft suffers technical glitch and crash-landed on the Moon and its mission failed to land on the south pole of the Moon.
- Project Clap, an e-learning program inaugurated by the Governor of Uttarkhand Gurmeet Singh. Continuous Learning Access Project (CLAP) under this program a online classes for class 1 to 12 will be conducted.
- Maharashtra government launches Bhagwan Birsa Munda Jodaraste Scheme to connect Tribal villages with main Roads.
- Maharashtra government plans to organise the ‘Pro Govinda’ competition on the occasion of Janmashtami. Dahi Handi is declared an official sport in Maharashtra.
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu MK Stalin, laid the foundation stone for the south-east Asia’s largest desalination plant in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Chandrayaan-3 successfully landed at the South Pole of the Moon on 23rd August 2023 at 6:04 pm. India became 1st to land on the South Pole and 4th country to conduct Soft landing.
- Karnataka has announced the official cancellation of the new education Policy. It was launched in 2020 by the Kasturi Ranjan committee.
- BRICS agrees to add six new members : Argentina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran Saudi Arabia and UAE. They will get permanent membership from 1st of January 2024. Including all members now total there will be 11 members in BRICS.
- Rajasthan received its fifth Tiger Reserve as the Dholpur-Karauli reserve.
- Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Shri Jyotiradity M. Scindia lay the foundation stone of Datia Airport.
- India to participate for the first time in the Bright Star military exercise 2023. It is held in Egypt.
- Uttarakhand government launched the “Mukhya Mantri Sashakt Behen Utsav Yojana. It was launched by Chief Minister Puskar Singh Dhami.
- PM Narendra Modi visited Greece and met Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Prime Minister of Greece. It is after 40 years an Indian Prime Minister visited Greece. Prime Minister Narendra Modi was honored with the Grand Cross Order of Honour in Greece.
- Tele-Law 2.0 app was launched by the central government on August 25 to ensure access to justice across the country.
- Abhineet Maurya climbed the highest peak in Europe, Mt. Elbrus hoisted the 77 feet of Tiranga.
- In collaboration with Asian Development Bank India is setting up a climate change and health hub in Delhi.
Monthly Sports Current Affairs
Every month many of the sports events take place in India and throughout the world. It has been seen in the government exams. The examiners like to ask questions about the sport’s current affairs. So we have listed all the important sports and their players’ achievements.
- England cricketer Stuart Broad has announced his retirement from International Cricket.
- Nouhaila Benzina of Morocco became the first player to wear a hijab at the Women’s Football World Cup.
- Gukesh D overtook Viswanathan Anand to become India’s top-ranked chess player.
- Deodhar Cup cricket tournament won by South Zone, beating the East Zone by 45 runs.
- India defeated Malaysia to secure their fourth Asian Champions Trophy title in the Men’s Hockey tournament.
- The 69th edition of the Nehru Trophy boat Race was held in Punnamada Lake in Alappuzha district of Kerala. The boat race was won by Pallathuruthy Boat club.
- Chris Woakes of England named the ICC Men’s Player of the Month, and Ashleigh Gardner of Australia as the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for July 2023.
- India’s first-ever night street racing circuit has been established in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- F1 defending champion Max Verstappen wins the Belgian Grand Prix.
- The Assam government will set up the National Centre of Excellence for Badminton.
- India’s Shoan Ganguly has won the silver medal at the 2023 Commonwealth Youth Games.
- India’s Wrestler Mohit Kumar became the under 20 world Champion in the Men’s 61 kg Freestyle category.
- Antim Panghal won a gold medal in the U20 World Wrestling Championship for the second time.
- ICC unveils Men’s and Women’s Mascots for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, Crictoverse.
- Spain won the 9th edition of the FIFA Women’s Football World Cup. It was the first time Spain became the world champion. This World Cup was hosted by Australia and New Zealand.
- Anahat Singh clinches Gold in the Asian Junior Squash Championship held in China.
- The World Cup 2023 Chess tournament occurred in the Azerbaijan capital Baku with the theme ‘We are one Family.’ Magnus Carlsen won the Gold medal by defeating Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa in the final and he became the runner-up, winning the Silver medal.
- The United World Wrestling body suspends the Wrestling Federation of India.
- In the Badminton World Championship, HS Prannoy won the Bronze Medal.
- IBSA World Games Indian Women’s blind cricket team won a gold medal by defeating Australia in the finals. It was the inaugural cricket championship of this tournament.
- Neeraj Chopra won a gold Medal in Men’s Javelin at the World Athletics Championship 2023.
All the important appointments on August 2023 are included in this section. It covers only the most important appointments that are expected to be asked in exams.
- Sanjay Kumar Agarwal has been appointed as the Chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- Commander S Paramesh has been appointed as the Additional Director General of the Indian Coast Guard.
- Raman Sukumar, an expert in Asian elephants, has been appointed as the Vice Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- Anwarul Haq Kakar has been sworn in as Pakistan’s caretaker Prime Minister.
- R. Duraisamy has been appointed as the Managing Director of LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India).
- Justice Subhasis Talapatra has taken oath as the 33rd Chief Justice of the Orissa High Court.
- Justice Prakesh Shrivastava has been appointed as the Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
- Sachin Tendulkar has been appointed as the national icon of the Election Commission.
Awards and Honors
Awards and Honors given this month of August 2023 are listed below. Go through them once, it will be helpful for you for your preparation.
- Ratan Tata was honored with the Maharashtra government’s first “Udyog Ratna” award.
- Jayesh Saini received the Global Leader Award 2023 for Healthcare Expansion in Africa.
- Harvard University awarded the top prize to Indian-American economist Raj Chetty with the George Ledley Prize.
- In 2023, the International Young-Eco Hero Award recognized five Indian youths among a group of 17 teenage environmental activists from around the world.
- Indore clinched the top spot in the Swachh Vayu Sarvekshan-2023 organized by the Central Pollution Control Board of India.
- SVAMITVA scheme of Ministry of Panchayati Raj won National Award for E-Governance 2023. This scheme is related to the survey of villages and Mapping with improved Technology like Drones.
- Shweta Sharda wins LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2023.
69th National Film Awards 2023
Best Actress: Alia Bhatt, Kriti Sanon
Best Actor: Allu Arjun
Best Feature Film on National Integration: The Kashmir Files.
Best Film: Rocketry
Best Hindi Film: Sardar Udham Singh.
Best Director: Sekhar Kammula.
Important days of August
- Muslim Women’s Rights Day is observed across the nation on 1st August.
- National Handloom Day was celebrated on 7th August.
- World Lion Day is observed on 10th August every year.
- World Elephant Day is observed on 12th August every year. According to recent data, there is a record increase in the number of elephants in Karnataka.
- International Youth Day is celebrated on 12th August with the theme “Green Skills for Youth: Towards a Sustainable World.”
- The Partition Horrors Remembrance Day is observed on 14th August in India as an annual national memorial day.
- World Photography Day is observed on 19th August.
- Rajiv Gandhi’s birth anniversary on 20th August is celebrated as Sadbhavana Diwas. He was the youngest Prime Minister of India.
- World Water Week was observed between 20th August to 24th August. It is organized by the Stockholm International Water Institute.
- August 23 will be observed as the National Space Day as on this day Chandrayaan-3 landed on the south pole of the Moon. The landing point will be named as the “Shiv Shakti Point.” And the place at which Chandrayaan-2 left its footprint on the moon in 2019 will be known as “Tiranga Point.”
- The National Sports Day of India is celebrated on August 29 every year.
Current affairs of August 2023-PDF
Here is the pdf for the important current affairs for August 2023. You can download this pdf for your quick revision of the current affairs. It covers all the topics of current affairs.